Saturday, September 17, 2011

Robot upgrades

I reworked the robot power system a little bit and made some software changes to try and fix the problems that I have been having with it.  I ran the robot remotely for three days this week to test the changes.  Bad news first:  I have not completely eliminated the glitches.  I had a couple of power failures this week requiring a reboot.  Good news:  It seems that the robot is significantly more stable than before.  Even though I had a couple problems I was able to predict them by monitoring the power system, so I think that I will be able to handle it in the future.  As a bonus, I have significantly reduced or eliminated some other glitches that plagued the original system.   The loss of the serial/USB connection only occurred once this week where before it would occur 2-3 times per day.  Also I have not any problems with the PowerPod.  I want to give it another full week of testing before I draw any conclusions, but if this stability persists I will post another part to the robot project detailing the changes that were made.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brantlew,

    Many thanks for putting this together. I started building my robot today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. Hope everything works out

      Delete