Finally had my first major break-down of the telepresence robot after 3 months of operation. A week and a half ago I tried to connect on Monday morning and found that the computer was down. Not an entirely unusual occurrence - I have had occasional battery drains over the weekend if I fail to monitor the robot. However the usual attempts at battery recharge failed. Assuming the battery had somehow gone bad, I purchased a new battery, charged it up, got the robot working again one night and then the next morning - same thing - battery drained. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to charge the batteries I have given up and decided that the on-board charger has broken. I don't have the patience to deal with the back-and-forth with tech support to try and get this thing resolved. I am really spoiled and I miss my virtual presence at the office, so I went ahead and ordered a new Create and hopefully that will fix the problem. I hope this is not a frequent occurrence.